How to: Marble Coasters

Marble Coaster DIYHere
    is a colorful coaster project that has endless possibilities. I love how the coasters come out completely unique each time. You’ll never make the same pattern twice. Give this DIY a try.

Sculpey oven bake clay (in an array of colors)

X-acto knife

Rolling pin or clear jar

large can, jar or stencil to trace

Gold Liquid Gilding and small paintbrush

Glaze to give the final product a glossy finish (optional)

baking tray

parchment paper

Marble Coaster DIY

Break off several pieces of color that you’d like to use for your coaster.

Marble Coaster DIY

Roll them out with your hand on a clean even surface so they are even in length and look like this. It’s ok if some are different thicknesses, that will give your end result a more interesting look.

Marble Coaster DIY

Once they are all rolled out, twist all the colors together.

Marble Coaster DIY

And roll that out with your hand so it’s twice as long as the original pieces of clay you rolled.

Marble Coaster DIY

Fold in half and twist again, and roll out with your hand. This is swirling and mixing the colors and forming lots of pretty layers within the clay. Do this 2-3 times total.

Marble Coaster DIY

Now form a ball with the clay.

Marble Coaster DIY

Take your jar or rolling pin and roll the ball flat, you’ll start to see a beautiful patter emerge! I like to use this glass vase instead of a rolling pin so I can see what’s going on as I roll it. Roll to a thickness of 1/4″.

Marble Coaster DIY

Now find a part of the marbled cheap sildenafil 100mg pattern that you love and trace a circle to cut it out.

Marble Coaster DIY

Smooth the clay with your finger if there are any bumps or imperfections.

Marble Coaster DIY

Transfer to a baking sheet with parchment paper. You’ll bake the clay according to your brand’s instructions. I baked my Sculpey clay at 275 degrees for 30 minutes.

Marble Coaster DIY

Once they are done baking, remove from oven and let cool. When the coasters are back at room temperature, use your liquid gilding and a fine brush to paint the outside edges.

Marble Coaster DIY

I painted the outer edge (where my X-acto knife cut down) as well as about an 1/8″ of the top outside edge.

Marble Coaster DIY

Allow to dry: the gold liquid gilding dries rather fast.

Marble Coaster DIY

Optional: I used a little bit of the liquid gilding to stamp the bottom of the coasters with an S.

Marble Coaster DIY

Once the liquid gilding is dry, you can seal your coasters with a touch of glaze for a glossy finish. This will also protect them from liquids.

Marble Coaster DIY

Your marble coasters are complete!

Marble Coaster DIY

I’m happy with how this project turned out! I love using them as coasters, but also think they are beautiful under my small succulent planters. I’ll be making more to give as gifts (I love them tied up with my favorite M&J silk hand-dyed ribbon!). Even if you don’t use coasters, they are little works of art resting on your side tables. I love how earthy and organic the patterns feel, and the pop of colors packs a punch!

Sarah

I am a lifelong New Yorker who recently swapped the subway for the California sunshine. I've learned the only way out is through--and tough stuff makes you a whole lot stronger. Currently hooked on self-care, kombucha, succulents and my labradoodle child. When I'm not writing here about mindfulness, wellness and encouraging you to be the bravest badass you know, I can be found designing gemstone jewelry, experimenting with new perfume notes, daydreaming about one day operating a flower farm, and spreading the Finnish spirit of sisu everywhere I go. Visit me at the links below to connect.

February 20, 2015

RELATED POSTS

87 Comments

1. Reply

Jess Abbott

February 24, 2015

To say I am in love with these would be a massive understatement. I L-O-V-E them!! So gorgeous.

SJ

February 24, 2015

Thank you Jess!

2. Reply

Eva @ All Books Considered

February 26, 2015

Gorgeous! Going to attempt these!!

3. Reply

Brittany Merth

February 26, 2015

These are SO pretty! I don’t need any coasters…so now I have to think of something else to make using this method.

4. Reply

DRAMA

February 26, 2015

Such an amazing idea!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

NASTYADRAMA.RU

5. Reply

Laura

March 10, 2015

I love these! Beautiful! Just wondering – how many blocks of sculpey did you use for 6 coasters? Thanks!

6. Reply

Courtney

April 28, 2015

I am so in love with these!! Totally going to make some for myself and for a friend as part of her housewarming gift! I do have a question… Could you put something on the bottom of the coaster so that it doesn’t scratch glass or wood? We have a glass table and my friend has a wood coffee table and I wouldn’t want to scratch either. Maybe those little felt circles? Wondering what you would suggest, if anything!

Kate Hill

May 21, 2015

You can totally put cork on the bottom or felt. Personally, even though the cork is a bit pricier, I think it’s worth it. It’s more durable!

7. Reply

bethany

May 7, 2015

I made these and they turned out awesome!
      My question is what type of glaze do I buy. I have mod podge- would that work??
      Thanks for helping me beautify my home!

8. Reply

Courtni Wong

June 27, 2015

What glaze would you recommend using on the coasters?

I want to make these as a gift for my boyfriend’s mom 🙂

9. Reply

Sarah

July 8, 2015

Would you be willing to make 6 that I would be able to buy from you? Absolutely love these but I’m terrible at crafts! LOL

SJ

July 9, 2015

HI Sarah, I’ve had a lot of requests to purchase, so I’m going to make many sets and list them. I will let you know when they are available to buy! Thank you for your interest! xoxo

10. Reply

lindsay

July 8, 2015

I love your idea so much I tried to make them, but they kept burning on the bottom. Also, the white parts turned brown. I have no clue what I did wrong, I checked everything and did just as you said but they did not come out right. How can I fix this?

SJ

July 9, 2015

Hi Lindsay, it sounds like the temp might have been too high. Try at a lower temperature for less time! All ovens are different…I hope that helps!

11. Reply

BEar

July 11, 2015

Aloha SJ,
      I would also like to purchase a 2 sets of 6. Would it be possible to use some of my favorite colors: Turquoise, lime green, perriwinkle, hot pink, and silver. Can you also edge them in silver and put cork or felt on the bottom? Please let me know
      how much they will cost first. THANKS SO MUCH!
      BEar
      them with

12. Reply

Hannah

July 11, 2015

Hi!

Loooveee this idea!!!

If I rolled out the clay into much bigger circles (about the size of a small plate), do you think it would still turn out well? I was thinking maybe using the small plate to put candles on as a table decor?

SJ

July 12, 2015

you could definitely try! I would make them a little bit thicker (and therefore cook them slightly longer). Would love to see the finished results!!

13. Reply

Ro

July 11, 2015

Thanks for such a wonderful idea. I just moved and have been looking for some unique one of a kind coasters that were fairly inexpensive and haven’t found ANY. I finally made my own last night and I love them. My parents love them so much they want me to make them some.

I was thinking about making some larger ones for my hot pots/pans. Do you think this clay with withstand the heat from a hot pot/pan from the oven or off of the stove??

14. Reply

Kenzie

July 23, 2015

I would love to purchase a set from you as well! Are they available for purchase ?

15. Reply

Kelly

July 28, 2015

These are gorgeous!! Going to attempt to make them as well but was wondering how many blocks you used for the 6 coasters? Do you use the entire block for 1 color or did you tear off a section? Thanks so much for the great idea!

SJ

July 28, 2015

Just use a section of the block!

16. Reply

Sandy

August 9, 2015

Used 1/2 block each of 6 colors. The colors all bled together and was only able to get 2 super thin coasters. The edges curled on one side of each and you can see every mark and dimple in them. Not even bothering to open the glaze. Hopefully, i can return it as it was quite pricey. The $10 clay is going on the trash. Not sure where this project went wrong….

17. Reply

Heather

August 11, 2015

Absolutely love these! I made one attempt recently but didn’t have a thick enough coaster once I rolled it out – If you’re using six colors fairly evenly, can you estimate about how much you’d use of each block? About 1/4 or 1/3…or 1/2? I really appreciate it 🙂

Gerri

August 16, 2015

I used about 1/4 of each block of Sculpey. That made a good 1/4″ thick coaster.

18. Reply

Sharleen

August 13, 2015

Hi! I love this ideas (super pretty!) but the instructions are very vague. I am having a Pinterest party and any info on what worked for you as far as how much clay to use and how thin to roll it out would really be helpful!!! Thank you ( ;

19. Reply

Gerri

August 16, 2015

Thank you for the excellent idea and the very easy to follow directions. I was going to make four coasters today, but ended up sitting down for hours and using all 30 of my “sculpey” blocks of clay…27 coasters!!.

I used a gold ink pen instead of a paint brush because I wasn’t sure I could paint a straight line.

Gerri

August 16, 2015

gold ink PAINT pen.

20. Reply

Hena

December 20, 2015

Hi, I love all the colours and the effects! I was wondering how you created a marbled effect for some of the other coasters as they look quite different from the one shown above. Thanks 🙂

21. Reply

Manon

December 26, 2015

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! Thank you so much for the great idea!! <3

22. Reply

Hanna

February 15, 2016

Beautiful! Love this idea 🙂

23. Reply

Tina

April 15, 2016

I’ve never worked with Sculpey. How sturdy is the finished product? My toddler recently dropped one of our coasters and now every time she sits at the table she reminds me of the broken coaster. I think it would be nice for her if we involved her in making a replacement, and I know our family would have fun doing this project together. However, I’m worried about these breaking as well, and I think if something she made broke it would upset her even more. Thoughts?

SJ

April 17, 2016

There is a slight flexibility to Sculpey after it’s been baked. I don’t think if you dropped it it would break. It’s a difference consistency than ceramic. I think it would the perfect material to use with a toddler!

24. Reply

Rachel

June 12, 2016

How do I get the gold gilding off my brushes?

SJ

June 12, 2016

Hi, immediately remove gilding from brush with nail polish remover.

25. Reply

Marie

July 9, 2016

ooh i love this DIY ! i will definitely try this 🙂

26. Reply

Jess

October 15, 2016

Am I able to purchase a set of these from you?? I think they are absolutely amazing!!!!
      If so, could you let me know what the costs is per set and what shipping to Australia is.

27. Reply

Myrto

March 2, 2017

Hey there! I just made these and unfortunately they are not flat, there are bubbles on them…I can think of a couple of reasons but please give me your opinion, I think you know better. It’s the first time I make anything out of clay and I would really like to learn how to avoid such mistakes..thanks in advance!

28. Reply

Lynnie

July 12, 2017

Just made my first batch and love them. I studied the photos and I am trying to figure out how you make some of the larger colored areas. Is there a special way to do that?
      Thank you for an awesome craft project.

Sarah

July 13, 2017

Hi Lynnie, I think it’s just the way the clay was twisted. Don’t over twist! It mixes the colors too much. Also use different amounts of each color so you get more variation. xoxo

29. Reply

Andrea D

October 6, 2017

I love the idea, ran out and bought clay right after I saw your post, thanks for sharing. Couple questions if you could…
      How do you keep the edges from curling and remain flat while baking?
      And, how did you keep the black from over-powering the other colors? The more I blended & rolled, the more the black seeped into the other colors, giving my finished product a dingy-like appearance.

30. Reply

Andrea

November 28, 2017

I found that the clay was way too flexible- I even baked it a bit longer. Is this normal? I was going to gift them for Christmas but I think people may be confused as to what they are as they are so bendy…

31. Reply

Hilary L Hahn

December 11, 2017

These came out so great!

32. Reply

Teresa

December 31, 2017

I made these last week, turned out great! Mine also had small bubbles, like some others mentioned, but not a big deal. Still super cute.

However, I made a huge mistake at the end! It was my first time working with bakeable clay and I followed your directions, including putting a gloss on the coasters after I finished (it was a spray can of all purpose glaze I got at hobby lobby). Two days later, the glaze still seemed to not have dried all the way – I put them in the sun, I kept flipping them, I did everything I could think of — but they’re STILL STICKY! 5 days later they are sticky and unable to be used as coasters.

I googled it, and apparently anything that comes in a spray can will not work on clay but some chemical in spray paints dissolves clay and causes stickiness. I don’t know if this is common knowledge and I just didn’t know, but I had never heard anything about that.

I’m so sad!! I spent $30 on the clay and a day making and baking them, and completely ruined my beautiful coasters just by putting the wrong glaze on them 😭

Does anyone know of anything I can do to fix them??? Will putting a different glaze on top help?

33. Reply

Joanna @DIY Project

July 4, 2018

Such lovely coaster. Have to make one. Thanks for posting such awesome coaster DIY tutorial.

34. Reply

Anita

November 25, 2018

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for this DYI, I’m definatly going to try to make these. I only have to find the equipement in my country. This is inspirational.
      Greetings from the Netherlands – Anita