We need to talk.
Your smell, your taste, your warmth. Your milk and sugar accoutrements. The instant energy you provide in my life. You’ve gotten me through so much.
You’ve been so good to me, but I’m going in a different direction.
There is the consistent regret of a second cup of you. The jitters, the anxiety, the dehydration, the feeling that I might jump out of my skin when I overindulge in you.
It’s not you, it’s me.
Thanks for the getting me through all those early mornings.
I hope we can still be friends?
I’ve been battling a very fine line of caffeine tolerance for years. When I don’t drink enough in the morning, I feel foggy and in withdrawal–my body is so sensitive to caffeine I can barely function when I need even a little more.
But then when I drink more (and so often too much), I feel like I’m out of my mind. I can’t focus. I get knots in my stomach. I just want to take a nap and start the day over entirely (but of course a nap would require closing my eyes, and in an over-caffeinated state, that’s freaking impossible!)
I have been seeking a warm energy-boosting alternative for a long time. A concoction that will 1) make me feel warm and cozy 2) energize me and 3) infuse me with vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants.
Enter: the most amazing chocolate energy elixir, ever.
With a little (OK, a lot) of googling and tinkering in the kitchen, I’ve developed a delicious, vitamin/antioxidant/nutrient-rich elixir for energy and wellness. Oh and bonus: it tastes like hot chocolate. (And 100% plant-based!)
I spent a good amount of money on the products below, but for 1) the benefits I’m providing my body with daily and 2) the length of time these will products will last me, I don’t mind investing in my health in this way. (And if you are hooked on the Starbucks, this will definitely be a cheaper habit in the long run!)You can find all the below ingredients on Amazon, I link below directly to my favorite brands. Feel free to add or omit ingredients as you see fit, but I will say the ones marked with an asterisk (*) are the ingredients that make it taste really good, (so I would definitely include them).
Cacao powder* (cold-pressed so that the antioxidants, iron, magnesium and abundant nutrients are intact)
Lucuma powder* (abundant minerals and low Glycemic Index sweetener)
Vanilla bean powder* (dietary fiber, antioxidants and essential minerals)
Beet sugar* (great substitute for cane sugar)
Mucuna pruriens extract powder (energy, endurance, libido, and central/peripheral nervous system health)
Reishi, chaga and cordyceps mushrooms extract powder (nutritional powerhouses that aid in reducing anxiety and relaxation while improving focus and concentration)
Eucommia extract powder (for strengthening bones, tendons, ligaments and collagen production)
Shilajit extract powder (energy and anti-aging)
Eleuthero root powder (energy, immunity, anti-fatigue, endurance, memory & general well-being)
Yerba mate tea powder (antioxidants, amino acids, polyphenols, vitamins and minerals)
1) Find a small container with a lid to add all the ingredients. You will shake it to mix. A mason jar is ideal.
2) The ratio of all the ingredients is simple. Add equal parts of everything except the cacao and the beet sugar. I used a tablespoon and added 1 tablespoon of each ingredient into the jar.
3) Next add 5 parts of the cacao powder to the jar. (In my case, I added 5 tablespoons.)
4) Next add 3 parts beet sugar to the jar. (In my case, I added 3 tablespoons.)
4) Place the cap on the jar and shake all the ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
5) Warm 1.5 cups of water or unsweetened almond milk in a mug. Add two heaping spoonfuls of the elixir to the warm liquid and stir.
6) Store the jar, as well as the remaining supplements, in a cool dry place. Optional: place the supplements in air tight bags to best preserve.
7) Enjoy your newfound levels of energy, endurance, focus and well-being.??
It’s seriously hard to believe when this drink hits your lips that it’s full of healthy plant-based ingredients for your body. You will not feel deprived by switching to this alternative. It also travels well–take your mason jar on the road with you (along with your favorite travel mug) and all you need is to add hot water!