PRINTABLE

PLANNER

grab the free

SEARCH THE BLOG

I’ve been looking everywhere for a flat ring chain with a chunky connector. I’m getting pretty good at the “deep google.” Honestly, I can track down just about any supply I need on the web. I finally realized this mystery chain I’ve been on the hunt for…

DIY, Jewelry

How to: Jump Ring & Connector Earrings

June 24, 2015

By Sarah

12 Comments on How to: Jump Ring & Connector Earrings

jump-ring-connector-earrings-diy-modeljump-ring-connector-earrings-diy-doneI’ve been looking everywhere for a flat ring chain with a chunky connector. I’m getting pretty good at the “deep google.” Honestly, I can track down just about any supply I need on the web. I finally realized this mystery chain I’ve been on the hunt for doesn’t exist, and the chain I’m looking for, is actually hand-assembled, using jump rings and connectors. It’s too easy.

Not only am I happy that I can make as much of this chain as I need with a few materials, but I also can get pretty creative with these jump rings and connectors. One thing leads to another, isn’t that always the way in the handmade world?

So behold, all that deep googling has lead me to create these dramatic, hand-assembled earrings in just a few steps. If you’re fast with your hands, these will take you under an hour to make. Your pals will be astonished that you made these sophisticated danglers from scratch! I call them my “Beyonce concert earrings”. There is something very rock ‘n roll badass, and also feminine and elegant about them (kinda like Bey). Feel free to get creative with your silhouette, the possibilities are endless. Scroll down to see a slightly different shape I made in addition to the earrings pictured above.

WHAT YOU NEED

Jump rings (mine are 12mm in size)

Connectors (I found mine at Metalliferous in NYC, but you can find some here)

Round nose pliers

E6000 Glue (For the ear posts, but I recommend soldering* if you know how!)

2 ear posts with backs

jump-ring-connector-earrings-diy-supplies

THE INSTRUCTIONS

Get your materials ready by closing all your jump rings so they lay perfectly flat. (Alternately you could purchase closed jump rings, sometimes they are more expensive, depending on what material you choose). Be sure to use round nose pliers, any other type of plier will leave marks on the front of the connectors.jump-ring-connector-earrings-diy-layout-2Roughly plan out your silhouette. It doesn’t have to be perfect–you can http://www.honeytraveler.com/buy-cipro/ always add or take away rings and connectors very easily. Start with a basic shape, and plan where your connectors go. It might help to sketch it out or take a picture and mark the places that need connectors like I did below.

jump-ring-connector-earrings-diy-layoutUse an extra connector at the very top, that is where your ear post will attach. Also, keep in mind that many of the rings will have multiple connectors attached, so that the earrings are reinforced, stable, and lay flat.

When you are done planning, start attaching the rings together with the connectors. I find it’s easiest to do one at a time, otherwise the rings will fall off.jump-ring-connector-earrings-diy-connectorsjump-ring-connector-earrings-diy-pinching-pliersHold the rings in your fingertips, and using the round nose pliers, pinch each side of the connector closed with the ring inside. Be sure that the backs of all the connectors are facing the same way, so the front of the earring doesn’t show any “seams”.jump-ring-connector-earrings-diy-closeupIf the earring is not laying flat, go over all your connectors again. Pinch and tighten them so the rings have less wiggle room. You’ll start to see a very cool design emerge the more connectors and rings you add! Flip the earring over to check out the front (again, all the seams will be in the back).

jump-ring-connector-earrings-diy-5Almost done! Flip the earrings back over to attach the ear posts. Use a dot of E6000 glue and let dry for many hours, or if you know how, solder* the ear posts to the back of the top connector.

jump-ring-connector-earrings-diy-supplies-4

You could also glue or solder* small rhinestones or gemstones in settings to either 1) the bottom and sides of each ring or 2) on the front side of each connector.

I hope you have fun with this DIY. As always, please tag me with your creations!

xo!Sarah

The comments +

1. Claire @ Beads Jar UK

June 26th, 2015 at 9:08 am

These look fab. I’d love to try them with coloured jump rings!

Claire xo

2. SJ

June 26th, 2015 at 1:05 pm

great idea!! I love it! Tag me in whatever you create…

3. joyce

October 25th, 2015 at 10:21 pm

The other website (Jan’s jewelry) that you refer to in your where to find jump ring connectors are NOTHING LIKE the ones pictured in your instructional how to make earrings …I spent 24 dollars…smh

4. SJ

October 26th, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Hi Joyce, I must have found a limited edition connector. Much of jansjewelry.com is vintage and not everything is a re-stock item. That is probably what happened. Try Etsy for connectors as well!

5. joyce

October 25th, 2015 at 10:23 pm

What is the exact name of the jump ring connectors that you found at metaliforous..do I can order them…thanks

6. SJ

October 26th, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Shoot, I don’t know the exact item number, but they are 12mm!

7. SJ

October 26th, 2015 at 7:16 pm

They are 12mm!

8. joyce

November 1st, 2015 at 10:29 am

Hello Jan ,thanks so much for getting back with me. You are awesome! I love your designs and will follow you ..enjoy life and keeps us inspired!!! tweet tweet

9. joyce

November 1st, 2015 at 11:44 am

I apologize Sarah I called you Jan

10. joyce

October 29th, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Help I bought 20 dollars worth of connectors from Jan jewels…they were curved not flat and difficult to use…what is the the name of these so I can order from metelliferous…I’m desperate

11. 25 DIY Metallic Accessories To Dress Up Your Outfit

February 16th, 2016 at 8:02 am

[…] These stunningly intricate chandelier earrings are made out of a surprising material, something that is usually used to connect pieces rather than as the focal point – jumprings! Check out the full tutorial with lots of photos and helpful descriptions over at Sarah Johnson’s blog.  […]

12. Sarah Johnson | Pearltrees

November 27th, 2016 at 6:47 am

[…] one. Here’s a double knot. You are done! How to: Beaded Knotted Pendant Necklace | Sarah Johnson. How to: Jump Ring & Connector Earrings | Sarah Johnson. I’ve been looking everywhere for a flat ring chain with a chunky connector. I’m getting pretty […]

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FIVE life changers for you

Need stunning styled photography for your website, newsletters or social? SISOO STOCK IS COMING!

The free Most Productive Person email challenge sends you simple productivity prompts for 100 days!

Attitude has the greatest impact on igniting success. Read how embracing the Sisoo spirit during my toughest chapter helped me activate my superlife.

Calm your mind with printable coloring pages. More fun (and colorful) than meditation!

Learn how I've revolutionized my schedule with this method. The printable will change your life!

Hi I'm Sarah!

A friend once called me a "crafty ass bitch" and I loved it. I design, make, fix, style, cut, build, hammer, sew, solder, mix, weave, paint, photograph, edit, measure, pour, cook, plan, organize, repurpose & more.

My superpower is freakish amounts of patience. It's allowed me to endlessly tinker with design, DIY, photography and the good old internet--which I'm so grateful has connected us here!

My mission is to activate your highest will of courage, determination & resilience for creating the life you most desire. Stick with me, I've got some awesome things to share!

READ THE SISOO STORY
DESIGNER
DIYER
SISOO STOCK
CALM YOUR MIND

TIME BLOCKING

MPP CHALLENGE

THE SISOO SPIRIT
Grab the Free Sisoo Printable Planner!

PLANNING

Calm Your Mind with Coloring Pages

PRINTABLES

100 Days of Productivity Email Prompts

PRODUCTIVITY

FREEBIES FOR YOU

YES I WANT IT!

A goal without a plan is just a wish. Get instant access to the free planner & start planning your success.

Make it Happen.

GET THE FREE PLANNER

DOWNLOADED OVER 100,000 times!

SEARCH THE BLOG

SISOOPLANNER

download. print. plan.

DOWNLOADED 100,000+ TIMES!

Tell me where to send the free planner to you below! Includes 7 printables for each day of the week.

You’ve successfully signed up! Check your email for details.

SISOOPLANNER

download. print. plan.

DOWNLOADED 100,000+ TIMES!

You’ve successfully signed up! Check your email for details.

CALM YOUR MIND WITH Coloring.

Sign up below and I'll send you this free coloring printable! Just download, print & color!

You’ve successfully signed up! Check your email for details.