SISOO

PLANNER

get the free

SEARCH THE BLOG

My. Favorite. Project. To. Date! I recently DIY’ed this floral-infused balloon backdrop for my sister’s birthday dinner at our favorite restaurant, North End Grill. (Ask for server Jairo, he’s the bessst!) We rented the private room in the back for her birthday…

DIY

How to: Floral Balloon Backdrop

June 20, 2016

By Sarah

13 Comments on How to: Floral Balloon Backdrop

Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.comMy. Favorite. Project. To. Date! I recently DIY’ed this floral-infused balloon backdrop for my sister’s birthday dinner at our favorite restaurant, North End Grill. (Ask for server Jairo, he’s the bessst!) We rented the private room in the back for her big dinner with about 15 friends. It’s a gorgeous space, with dark wood-paneled walls. I wanted to add a pop of color against the dark wood, so during pre-dinner champagne we could take some fun, memorable, festive birthday pictures. What can I say, I’m all about dat photo opp!
Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.comI wish you could have seen my friend Katie and me carrying about 30 dozen flowers and this balloon “structure” (for lack of a better word) down the street on a luggage cart to the restaurant in our heels. No big deal walking through the restaurant with all these balloons attached to a huge piece of chicken wire. Keep it moving, nothing to see here, people! I kept telling the staff at the restaurant, it doesn’t look like much now, just give me a few minutes and it will all come together, I promise. I think they thought I had been taking crazy pills, but I never doubted it would turn out pretty rad. It’s not the most difficult DIY, it just takes some patience, space, and a little bit of a budget–the flowers weren’t cheap.

WHAT YOU NEED

balloons (I used an array of colors and sizes)

balloon air pump (this is a LIFE saver, no way I could have blown up all those balloons myself)

mesh poultry netting

wire cutters

clear mailing tape

permanent glue dots

thumbtacks

shit ton of flowers, stemmed and trimmed (I like this online flower wholesaler)Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.comMy apartment smelled sooooo good!Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com

THE INSTRUCTIONS

With your wire cutters, cut your poultry netting into your desired shape. Mine was rectangularish. The netting will be curled so it might take a little wrestling first, to smooth it out. Use your thumbtacks to secure the netting to a wall. Next, take your balloon air pump and blow up about 100 balloons (and watch your dog go nuts). I blew them up in different sizes to create a more interesting dimension in the end result. Once you have enough balloons to work with, take the clear mailing tape, and tape the knot side of the balloon around different parts of the poultry netting. Try to keep the balloons as close together as you can. Use the dots of glue for any balloons that are drooping–place a dot on the side of a balloon and it will grab onto the side of another balloon and stay more upright. Don’t worry about too many gaps you see at this point–you’ll fill those in with flowers later!

Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com

Cover the entire netting with the balloons. (I promise it goes fast if you have the balloons blown up beforehand.) Once the entire netting is covered, take trimmed and stemmed flowers and start nestling them into the gaps, so you can’t see any of the netting in between the balloons. You don’t want super long stems, because they get in the way or make it hard to get the flowers in far enough, but you don’t want no stems/too short stems because they will fall out of the backdrop. I’d say 7-9″ stems are ideal to work with. I simply placed them in between the balloons and used the netting as leverage to make them hold. I LOVE how the longer eucalyptus turned out–it gave it a more untamed, wild and free look. I used mostly full, large garden roses in both deep red and “sunset” colors, yellow billyballs, purple liatris, purple pompons, and baby blue eucalyptus. The flower placement was definitely the most fun part!

Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com

Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com

Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com(I made flower crowns for the ladies too! I’ll share the DIY for those in a future post. So easy and fun to make.)Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.comThe Birthday gal. How fabulous and #onbrand is her dress? psssst…It’s Ted Baker, and 40% off at Nordstrom right now!
Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com

Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com

Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com

Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com

Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com

Floral Balloon Backdrop DIY by thesarahjohnson.com

My amazing and supportive sister has always believed in my creativity. Thank you Sissy, I love you!!

Hope you enjoyed this DIY. Please tag me if you create something inspired by this project, I’d love to see how it turns out!

xo!Sarah

The comments +

1. Festive Friday – 5 Fun Things – A Subtle Revelry

September 2nd, 2016 at 1:27 pm

[…] This floral balloon backdrop is everything easy and gorgeous for a party. The instructions couldn’t be anymore simple for such a WOW statement piece. […]

2. Sheryl Chiaramonte

September 13th, 2016 at 8:51 am

Super lovely. Very festive.

3. Arleen

February 15th, 2017 at 9:14 am

Hi! Loved this so much! How did you attach the balloons to the wire?

4. Sarah

February 15th, 2017 at 11:23 am

I used clear mailing tape and wrapped it around the back side of the wire and bunched it up around the knot of the balloon. Pretty easy, just takes patience to keep doing it over and over. 🙂

5. 45 Awesome DIY Balloon Decor Ideas - Pretty My Party

June 28th, 2017 at 8:27 pm

[…] This DIY Balloon Wall Backdrop is perfect for a photo booth background or a dessert table backdrop! […]

6. Laura

July 13th, 2017 at 7:21 am

Hi, I love this decoration! I would like to make a smaller version for my friend’s hen party and I was just wondering, how did you attach it to the wall? Mine would go on a door but I’m wondering how I would attach it. Thanks!

7. Sarah

July 13th, 2017 at 11:38 am

Hi Laura, I attached with thumbtacks in the corners of the chicken wire around the perimeter. xoxo

8. Yesenia

July 17th, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Hello instead of thumb tacks. How else could you attach it to a wall without damaging the wall for a party room

9. Mary

October 2nd, 2017 at 8:18 am

This is gorgeous!
    You said you blew up the balloons in different sizes but what size balloon did you use?
    Thank you!

10. Amy

February 11th, 2018 at 11:11 pm

Hi!! I love this so much! Do you remember about how long it took?

11. Sarah

February 12th, 2018 at 1:04 pm

HI Amy, it’s a tedious project. I’d give yourself an entire afternoon to get the balloons fixed on the wire! Installing the flowers once I got it to the event space took only about 1.5-2 hrs–that part is quick! Hope you have fun with this DIY! xoxo

12. Kelly

April 8th, 2018 at 12:46 am

Hi amy!!!
    How did you decide on the colors and where did you by them from. All the colors i find are too light. Looking for something bolder.

Thanks

13. Crystal M

June 7th, 2018 at 3:01 pm

I love this tutorial! I will have to try this sometime!

P.S. – love your blog!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FIVE life changers for you

Need stunning styled photography for your website, newsletters or social? SISOO STOCK IS COMING!

The free Most Productive Person email challenge sends you simple productivity prompts for 100 days!

Attitude has the greatest impact on igniting success. Read how embracing the Sisoo spirit during my toughest chapter helped me activate my superlife.

Calm your mind with printable coloring pages. More fun (and colorful) than meditation!

Learn how I've revolutionized my schedule with this method. The printable will change your life!

Hi I'm Sarah!

A friend once called me a "crafty ass bitch" and I loved it. I design, make, fix, style, cut, build, hammer, sew, solder, mix, weave, paint, photograph, edit, measure, pour, cook, plan, organize, repurpose & more.

My superpower is freakish amounts of patience. It's allowed me to endlessly tinker with design, DIY, photography and the good old internet--which I'm so grateful has connected us here!

My mission is to activate your highest will of courage, determination & resilience for creating the life you most desire. Stick with me, I've got some awesome things to share!

READ THE SISOO STORY
DESIGNER
DIYER
SISOO STOCK
CALM YOUR MIND

TIME BLOCKING

MPP CHALLENGE

THE SISOO SPIRIT
Grab the Free Sisoo Printable Planner!

PLANNING

Calm Your Mind with Coloring Pages

PRINTABLES

100 Days of Productivity Email Prompts

PRODUCTIVITY

FREEBIES FOR YOU

YES I WANT IT!

A goal without a plan is just a wish. Get instant access to the free planner & start planning your success.

Make it Happen.

GET THE FREE PLANNER

DOWNLOADED OVER 100,000 times!

SEARCH THE BLOG

SISOOPLANNER

download. print. plan.

Tell me where to send my free planner to you below! Includes 7 printables for each day of the week.

DOWNLOADED 100,000+ TIMES!

You’ve successfully signed up! Check your email for details.

SISOOPLANNER

download. print. plan.

DOWNLOADED 100,000+ TIMES!

You’ve successfully signed up! Check your email for details.