Want to know how to make an ice cream cookie sandwich in record time?
I'm not exaggerating when I say this hack lets you make a batch of ice cream cookie sandwiches in about 2 minutes.
(I know because I make them far too often for our household!)
You will learn the easiest hack to maximize your ice cream cookie sandwich potential here. Once you know this trick, stocking your freezer full of delicious ice cream cookie sandwiches is way too easy.
CHECK OUT THIS HACK ON HOW TO MAKE AN ICE CREAM SANDWICH
WHAT YOU NEED
- large cookies (2 per sandwich)
- pint of ice cream in a paper carton
- serrated knife
- Optional: any toppings you want to add to the edge of the ice cream sandwich (sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, crushed cookies, etc.)
- Lay your cookies side by side with the bottoms up.
- Lay the ice cream carton on its side and slice it into three equal parts.
- Gently remove the remaining carton pieces from the outer edge of the ice cream.
- Place each slice of ice cream onto a cookie.
- Press the second cookie on top and press down just enough that the ice cream sticks to the top and bottom cookies.
- Optional: Roll the edges of the sandwich in a bowl of additional toppings (I used chocolate sprinkles).
Be sure to work quickly while making the sandwiches, as the slower you work, the more the ice cream melts and the messier the sandwich-making becomes.
Keep the ice cream in the freezer until you are ready to slice it.
TRY CREATIVE ICE CREAM / COOKIE COMBINATIONS
The best part about making this semi-homemade ice cream cookie sandwich is how quickly you can make a batch.
The second best thing is assembling them at home, which allows you to combine ANY ice cream with ANY cookie!
Here are some of my favorite combinations to try:
- Chocolate chip cookie and cookies and cream ice cream
- Gingersnap cookie and salted caramel ice cream
- Double chocolate chip cookie and mint chocolate chip ice cream
- Sugar cookie and matcha ice cream
- Peanut butter cookie and chocolate peanut butter ice cream
- Oatmeal raisin cookie and strawberry ice cream
REMEMBER TO LOOK FOR ICE CREAM IN A PAPER CARTON SO YOU CAN EASILY SLICE IT
MAKE YOUR ICE CREAM COOKIE SANDWICH ALLERGY-FRIENDLY
Do you have someone in your family who can't eat dairy or eggs? That can make finding the proper store-bought ice cream cookie sandwich hard.
Fear not! The beauty of making these semi-homemade sandwiches is that you can fine-tune the necessary ingredients.
My mother has an egg sensitivity, so I buy her vegan chocolate chip cookies from Whole Foods and pair them with an egg-free ice cream.
She loves that she can avoid her food allergies but still enjoy a special tasty treat that doesn't take all day to make.
PREPARE A LARGE COST-EFFECTIVE BATCH
I discovered Cool Haus ice cream cookie sandwiches at our Whole Foods before I knew about this way to prepare your sandwiches at home. They are DELICIOUS! However, they are $6-$8 for a single sandwich.
I can now create creative flavor profiles, avoid ingredients like egg or dairy, and make a batch of ice cream cookie sandwiches for about $3/each!
When to EAT YOUR ICE CREAM COOKIE SANDWICH
Cookie ice cream sandwiches are best when they are frozen solid. So, I always make these several hours ahead of time so they can solidify in the freezer. Give them at least an hour!
You can eat them right away; they will just be messier in your hands.
HOW TO STORE YOUR ICE CREAM COOKIE SANDWICHES
Wrap each sandwich individually in aluminum foil and place 3-4 sandwiches inside each a large zip-lock freezer bag. Store for up to 3 months. (But there is no way they will last that long!)
MORE POSTS YOU'LL LOVE
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a small commission if you purchase through my link. Please read full disclosure here.